Sandra Ford Walston, The Courage Expert, is innovator of StuckThinking™. She is an OE/Learning consultant, internationally published author of bestseller COURAGE, STUCK and FACE IT!, she is a national speaker, trainer and a courage coach.
Most often, everyday courage is comingled with heroism, and that is an egoic trap! How can everyday courage apply in the workplace today when the work environment is riddled with uncomfortable and challenging issues? In the midst of all the required tasks plus last minute scrambles, how can the designated learning officer of your organization flush out individual courage so that the organization surges in fluid courage?
• En-courage feedback — it takes courage to learn from others’ perspectives. To reverse employees who are risk averse or too shy to speak up wholeheartedly, embrace on-going interactive dialogue through storytelling and establish a time for regular follow-up (then, celebrate those steps in advancement).
• Acknowledge the power of honesty. Former associate professor of marketing and strategic management at Central Queensland University in Australia, John Jackson, offers a passage from The Way of Transformation: “The woman or man who, being really on the Way, falls upon hard times in the world will not, as a consequence, turn to that friend who offers her refuge and comfort and encourages her old self to survive. Rather, she will seek out someone who will faithfully and inexorably help her to risk herself, so that she may endure the suffering and pass courageously through it, thus making of it a ‘raft that leads to the far shore.”
• Confront your limitations and seek personal accountability.
• Be proactive. “True courage is not measured by the size of the act, but by the size of the heart” (This sentence was on a flag draped on a building by Ground Zero in New York).
• Cross-check to review how you’re doing with your own courage context and courage quotient.
A portal to your heart opens when you strive for the best outcome. Why? The heart matures during different stages of courage development. Revelation allows you to be more self-conscious. Consciousness thrives in contemplation. Contemplation centers you in silence. Silence breeds insight. Insights augment learning. Join me in two weeks to learn what cultivates courage initiators.
Sandra Ford Walston is known as The Courage Expert and originator of StuckThinking™. She is an organizational effectiveness consultant, speaker, internationally published author of bestseller COURAGE, trainer and courage coach. She is certified in the Enneagram and MBTI®. www.sandrawalston.com.